Ship Cannons

Cid

Novice III
Benefactor
Supporter
Over the past week or so I have been playing around with the different sizes of ships and the mounted cannons. Everything you need to mount a cannon on your ship can be crafted with the exception of the torch you need to light the fuse. I looked at all the crafting menus to find the match but it's not there....Anyway, The thought occurred to Wild Elf and myself about; wouldn't it be neat if cannons could be made of iron from different ore types?

Aside from the usual color differences how about if the different ores add bonuses to the cannon? For example, a cannon made from Verite could poison your target. Valorite could add extra damage to the target ships rigging (sails). Shadow could de-buff the target mana, Gold could add a small luck bonus. If these suggestions sound familiar, they should be as I propose the same bonuses that runic smithing hammers provide to weapons. Naturally, I wouldn't expect the crafting to be as easy as just using different ore so how about the need for recipes? Recipes could be made to be found in the chests fished up from an SOS, bod reward items and so forth. Maybe even the requirement of using a runic cannon tool, in different ore types.

We could do the same to the ammunition, (cannon balls and grape shot). Shoot, you could even make the pirates and orcs target you sooner by using enhanced ammunition. There are many different ways to add new depth (pun intended) to the oceans of Sosaria.

This could really add a neat dimension to the high seas and may even be able to help with the bosses.

As always, please feel free to comment either pro or con.

Upvote 0

Dan

Staff Member
Administrator
Game Master
I'd have to look at the stock code but truly anything is possible.

There used to be slight variations in cannon shot and type but it was actually complained about and the whole process was "simplified" a few years after high seas first launched.

It's also why you couldn't find matches, they no longer exist.

OP
Cid

Cid

Novice III
Benefactor
Supporter
I can now see and understand why OSI tried to make the firing of cannons easier. It's a real complicated system for the few kill points against a Kracken. To be honest, I do more damage with an archer than a full broadside with the cannons. I don't think they will do much good against the bosses. Wild Elf wants to try them out against an orc ship see if we can sink her....

Is it true? Can I go to Felucca and mine saltpeter for a 1,000 boost to luck? Nice to see that you can use a metallic dye tub on the cannons, gonna have to give that a try. ;)

I was kinda hoping that wearing the Orc shipbuilders apron would give an added benefit to the smithing of cannons but they don't help. The Orc flares we got during the Tram invasion of Orcs near Vesper will not light the fuse of the cannons either, you have to use the plain torch bought from the provisioners.

It just seems to me that OSI had a good idea with the High Seas expansion but like all the other expansions from OSI they either left it unfinished or it has had too many patches over the years.

Anyway, something to put on the back burner....:)

Xeno

Apprentice
Supporter
The ship wasn't really meant to fight sea creatures. It was meant for attacking other ships, PvE and PvP. It would be awesome to make changes to it so they could battle sea creatures. I think it would be cool to add some bonus's to the different ships and make the speed the same on all. Speed should be the same as the orc ship. Bonus could be for fishing, fighting other ships, and adjust them to damage sea creatures. It would be awesome to fish up some new higher end sea monsters from specific ships using bait from the monger quests. The cannons made from different ores could do different damages so you would want specific cannons for specific mobs. Make High Seas Great Again!

RedBeard

Journeyman II
The Legend
Benefactor
Supporter
Increased cannon durability would be nice. I can't see spending 1800 colored ingots on a cannon for myself, however, shouldn't repairing the cannon require the same ingots be used; making more resources for repairs necessary.

@Cid Felucca no longer boosts your luck, but 1500+ luck will help with boat mining for saltpeter.
@Xeno I like the idea of different ships being better suited for different purposes, and of course more sea creatures.

This post made me think of some improvements to Fishing and High Seas activities.

Fishing/High Seas Ideas
Maelstrom: [a deadly whirlpool] damaging to galleons, teleports players on regular ships to nearest land mass, must be avoided and may force players to replot their course.
Fisherman's Creel: a weight reduction container that just holds fish. (part of basket weaving or reward)
Chum Bucket: when deployed, a fisherman doubles his/her harvest; operates similar to a lobster trap.
Dolphin Oil: [a yellow lard that Cooks can render into oil] used to add charges to crafting stations (1000 uses perhaps) instead of tinker crafted tools. What fisherman isn't looking for an excuse to kill dolphins.
Downrigger: trolling addon for Britannia Galleon (like to see more addon possibilities for the Brit Galleon)
Ghost Ship: manned by Undead, a rarely spotted vessel that contains Legendary loot and special items.

Last edited:
OP
Cid

Cid

Novice III
Benefactor
Supporter
Fishing/High Seas Ideas
Maelstrom: [a deadly whirlpool] damaging to galleons, teleports players on regular ships to nearest land mass, must be avoided and may force players to replot their course.
Fisherman's Creel: a weight reduction container that just holds fish. (part of basket weaving or reward)
Chum Bucket: when deployed, a fisherman doubles his/her harvest; operates similar to a lobster trap.
Dolphin Oil: [a yellow lard that Cooks can render into oil] used to add charges to crafting stations (1000 uses perhaps) instead of tinker crafted tools. What fisherman isn't looking for an excuse to kill dolphins.
Downrigger: trolling addon for Britannia Galleon (like to see more addon possibilities for the Brit Galleon)
Ghost Ship: manned by Undead, a rarely spotted vessel that contains Legendary loot and special items.

Good Ideas! I especially like the Dolphin Oil. I would love to rid the seas of these wharf rats with fins ;). I don't remember, does one lose karma from killing Dolphins? I think at one time on the OSI shards you lost karma.

Agreed, 1,800 ingots is a ton for a cannon even if just using iron ingots.

Chum bucket, I love it....could it have artwork depicting that stupid Chum from the show Pawn Stars? :D I would love to heave him over the side....

Too bad about the loss of the bonus to luck from farming saltpeter in Felucca. I tried the metallic dye tub on one of my cannons, no effect so that is gone as well.

Dan

Staff Member
Administrator
Game Master
I tried the metallic dye tub on one of my cannons, no effect so that is gone as well.
It was never added to be gone in the first place.

I'll have to test on production if they are dyed with a metallic tub in cannon or deed form. Is usually one or the other.

PLAY NOW

Heritage

Address
play.trueuo.com
Port
Uptime
8 hours
Players Online
Houses
Vendors
Gold
4,399,134,833gp