My sincere opinion...HOW TO HELP!!!!!!

BinhoGuedes

Neophyte
Well, lately, because of the time I've been dedicating to my new job, I'm not as active as the other time, but even in this short time, I think there's a lot of weird stuff going on.

When I started here (this was 2 years ago), we had an average of 30 to 40 active players. I came from demise, because it was stopped for 1 week.
Here I met several people, who today I consider true brothers in life, but beyond that, I could really enjoy a game where we had a server with a good policy and that little by little was having movement.

Remember we even have people doing live on platforms broadcasting the game...how cool!

The most interesting thing was that there was something very close to osi (which on the servers I played was very difficult to have)...we had a basis for things and this is fundamental for discussions.

I remember when Spawn was disputed... it was fun, exciting to make Spawn, because there were guilds that could invade Spawn at any time...

Felluca Marble Island felt like a war...it was daily pvp there...we had OC, BRK, ZEAL's.

The big question is that unfortunately, something happened along the way and everything in my opinion and I'm sure that many here, made that all this feeling of playing a good server, osi-like, with accessible people, was practically extinct... or withdrawn of us.
That's a personal opinion, but here are some things that I'm sure contributed to it:

1 – Removing from Eldon...as uninhabitable as it was, I think it was a really bad idea...look, the game and its expansions were made for that...and there were people who loved it there...I still think, that even though it hadn't fallen into popular taste, it still had its value....we had references to consult, today we don't have it....WE STOP BEING OSI-LIKE, something many here were looking for;

2 – Lack of stimuli for players...I think this, we could improve a lot...I know the team's effort, but something was missing...the event that is happening because they didn't do it in edon with the creatures there in their respective places in order to encourage players to venture there? I agree that T2A Tramel is a land that has nothing, but still, there could be other alternatives...more specific quests there without impacting on edon?

3 – PVP...we could have monthly events...but little and that, it doesn't encourage people to venture into this world...it could have other things, because today unfortunately PVP, it boiled down to BRK and DOOb, or some players I still try;

4 – This last change was the most absurd in my opinion....as wrong as the TRACKING was, it was unbalanced. Whether it was wrong or not, it was useful and it wasn't as bad as it is today....anywhere on the map you find people...I feel that the basis of the game, however fanciful it is, has its touch of reality and logic ! That does not exist! If this change only affected the monster it would be nice, but still....

While I'm sending this message we have 26 players (or maybe actually 8 or less if we consider that we can have 3 per account).

I see that we have lost the identity that the server had... that of looking for references...wiki, videos to learn...basis to be able to speak...

I know that the server here is solely and exclusively owned by DAN and that it doesn't work for us, but I feel an obligation to be able to express a little of what many players think, with whom I spoke.

We have players already abandoning...the question is...what can be done to reverse this? What can we do to contribute to the server's return? What can we do to attract players?

Dan

Staff Member
Administrator
Game Master
I honestly don't think that's the case.

The unique number of account owners has only gone up.

Summer has ALWAYS been the slow time. Last year was the only exception and it was mostly due to covid. This year, people are making up for lost time. Atleast I know I am. IE - doing stuff outside, vacations, etc.

I spend what little free time I do have coding and maintaining the server. Don't like the population? Help advertise the shard, create YouTube videos, Reddit posts, anything.

Miral

Novice III
Supporter
I kinda see where he’s coming from. Do I agree with the points? Not really.

from what I’ve seen, Heritage has prided itself on being OSI-like. Apart from the quality of life upgrades (pet menu is still best thing ever!), we’ve kind of seen a contraction of content rather then an expansion on OSI. (the events are cool and all, but temporary) this contraction has come as the player base has shrank due to the things you laid out, post-covid -summer etc. So I can understand why players would be worried that the changes are turning people off. There is not really any way to tell till summer goes away and we see how many people come back.

I love this crazy place, but there are no right answers.

Wolfbayne

Newbie III
Supporter
The reason I chose this shard over any others was two things, The community was said to be welcoming and helpful, and it had all the features of OSI, which was a huge thing, as I wanted to experience all the new things that had been added since I left back in the day.

While the first point has been proven extremely true, I feel we are moving further and further from the second. We're losing entire facets. And while I think Eodon is shit, flat, dull, unfinished and just messy. It IS an OSI feature, and Heritage was one of the few active shards that actually had it.
Also the loot tables seem pretty poor, I've played several months now quite actively, and have done a large amount of "high end" PvM, with around 2000 luck, and I've never even seen a "legendary artifact" level loot drop. Not sure that's intended?

As for lack of PvP and players in Fel, well that's what everyone seemed to want with the removal of the [players list, you reap what you sow. No way of knowing if the reds are on in force, tracking changes, removal of luck bonus and double resources in Fel, why the hell would anyone go there?

Pappy

Novice II
Supporter
Summertime always sees a drop in players for UO, it's not just this server.
As mentioned, once the weather cools off, see what happens then.
I started playing last year due to the covid lock downs.
Had not played anywhere in several years before that.
The Eodon thing, IDK about others but it wasn't a thing when i played on OSI so i didn't care about its removal.
IDK if it's been updated/changed or not, but whoever passed the idea of player x being 1 foot into Felluca & tracking player y to their spawn location from across the entire facet needs their head examined.
"we had OC, BRK, ZEAL's."
OC GM had a baby, you wont see him, his dad only logs in to keep his houses from falling, they have only one active player & he splits his free time between video games.
ZEAL had a semi public breakup several months ago & AFAIK Magus is the only semi active player in it now. (& happens to be allied to BRK)
BRK, have seen it field 8 players.
Doob/Ti have seen them also field 8 players.
So there's 2 guilds/groups that can field up to 8 players,
y'all could easily split into 4 guilds fielding 4 each.
But i know neither group would want to give up it's numbers advantage so i'm not going to hold my breath for THAT to happen.
See, some people really, REALLY pushed to have that player list removed thinking that they would then have their blue stealthers (brokenly undetectable by blue players) scout those solo players doing champ spawns by themselves so they could call in their guild and gank the ever living shit out of them. But as it turns out, the 'cause' had the opposite effect of what they desired. Because those people who with the list would try to solo champ spawns said "Fuck it, their rail bots can look at an empty Felluca." and decided to go do other things in game instead of being the gank target for whole guilds. That's why & now you know.

cardeal

Novice
Benefactor
Supporter
Ill be short here. Im old school player and never let UO aside perhaps spent a few years in and out. Im from the time where insurance wasnt a thing and all u needed was a dagger and some reags to face 3 or more and chop their heads. Players together in advantageous number and guilds ganking other players always happened and will never stop similar to people checking dungeons and using their stealths however the main difference is down to the fact that UO became a game more for programmers rather than anything else so you wont be able to challenge someone using an autoprotect/cure/heal script and the same thoughts happen to scripts used to check dungeons/spawns/idocs but this discussion is a little deep, we cant go back in time we just have deal with it and use the same available tools or stop crying. This is a game, you have insurance on items and for the number of active players against gold coin everyone has enough gold to not bother with insurance price.
Lets move to the important points raised on this post.
OSI-like: main reason I joined this shard.
Community: however small it is welcoming. I remember when I joined almost everything was new to me. Magus and Pappy showed me lots of things I even have a rune called Pappy on my runebook from one place he showed to farm and now I make part of his amazing guild with people helping each other all the time - so yes there is a very welcoming community here which is nice.
Turned out the shard is diverting from the original purpose or at least from the first impression I had OSI-like. I am sure the whole game is not 100% completed and far from being 100%right but everything originally looks balanced and tracking skill was one the most non-sense thing ever done. People found other people on the other side of the world using a skill without boundaries? Facet tracking without limits? Cant be real and I think even after the damages done to my toons this will one day be reviewed.Facets been removed for X reason? If it is an OSI feature and we were said to be OSI-like it should be there.
One thing I would like to see more is the community growing and yes I have made some mouth to mouth ad and brought really good people in. We can all help the community to grow is a fact but I would like to continue being OSI-like without crazy changes to skills, items, quests, cities, drops, loot table, (going back in time the anti-virtue artifacts changed from the dungeons to the named mobs making people flee dungeons I farmed months in Shame to collect all just to know after a couple of days it was changed).. lets pull together, keep the OSI-like idea and help the community. PVP wise lets jump on the field Im sure together we can kill every noob out there.

xG00BERx

Journeyman III
Supporter
I contemplated whether to waste some time on this thread and figured I might as well :)

"we had OC, BRK, ZEAL's."
OC GM had a baby, you wont see him, his dad only logs in to keep his houses from falling, they have only one active player & he splits his free time between video games.
Hey pappy!
I just want to clarify on this, that the reason we do not play on Heritage anymore actively is not because Goobs had a baby xD
We all still play together and have expanded our group as we have played other servers and games.

OC simply moved to other games like Albion Online, League, COD, ESO, and generally just other games as a group where we stick together and add a few members here and there.
We have also been playing older Era servers even tho almost all of us prefer a newer era such as Heritage for long term content.. which has some weight as to why we dont base out of Heritage anymore.

I whined and I complained about the issues we seen with Heritage, most of the time people just seemed to go against us even when they had no fucking clue what they were talking about with PvP or the general issues with Heritage. OC was often demonized because we were giant fuckin assholes and we loved to PvP but the sad thing is we are and never were the best PvPers who would arrive on heritage's doorstep, most of the best would leave before the week was up due to the overwhelming issues affecting the server and ultimately at the end those issues pushed us away.

Anyways, we are still active and playin on other servers and you may see us but I felt like posting that we did not just bail because of life and shit we bailed because of a few reasons ill state here and as I state I know I am not blameless in some of these as I used these to my advantage at times to survive but I always wished we did not need to take this route to survive.

-Casting was completely fuckin incorrect - When you can teleport faster than a player can run there might be an issue.

-Scripting ran fuckin rampant with automated Doom scripts, automated shadowguard scripts, auto spawners, auto spawn checkers, discord alerting scripts when a player shows somewhere, Teleport wall scripts, auto mining/lumber/fishing, auto bandage scripts, scripts that would OFTEN fool Dan that you were not AFK when you were with simple AI pulled into Python via EnhancedUO, scripting for every single aspect of the game.

-The server constantly was changing its vision through the time I was there, I literally named a player "NotOSIAccurate" because Dan would site how something wasn't OSI accurate and then we would get some stupid fucking shit like Dread spiders with 1500 HP at champion spawns when I first started because we didn't have a OSI account to prove it. Now its custom or some shit and we would get events with custom sashes with DI and SSI and all this other shit, it never made sense to me what the vision was.

-You as a individual are not a player on Heritage - you are a bug tester. Heritage at the time of me playing there was just a place where you tested code and if there was an issue that was fucking annoying you you got to be the one who tested the issue on OSI, create a bug report on the forums, and pray it got fixed in a decent amount of time.

-Pay to Win/Advantage Cash shop - I spent hundereds on this server because I liked to support it of course but I also knew it gave me an advantage, at the time one of the best Dexxer capes was on the store, some of the coolest lookin gear, etc.

These are just some of the issues I had with Heritage and even though I dont play Heritage we often talk about good times on here as a Group or people who are/were on the server and what not and they are often decent memories and I hate that we don't have a constant home to play UO on anymore but it was just full of bullshit so we decided to go and play elsewhere.
Heritage had the potential to be one of the greatest servers and tbh I think it was one of the best I ever played at certain times but the PvP was shit and everyone who is decent at PvP left because they realized that quickly...

I also am grateful I met two of the coolest Motherfuckers ever on this server Jester & Dakota - if anyone is around that still remembers them. They are still some of the coolest dudes ever and I got to meet Dakota IRL and Jester plays with us to this day.

Anyways, I sometimes check the forums every month or so and noticed this thread the other day and felt like throwing my two cents and if you feel like I'm just bitching or I'm wrong or "hey fuck you - if you dont like it leave it" ... well, we all did leave it... after years of hoping and trying to have a good time and help the community.

@Magus Zeal - Hit me up sometime big boy ;)

XxXBarbieXxX

Neophyte III
Supporter
I have been absent for a while. I still pop in to refresh all my epic house locations which are for sale but no one contacts about them.

Honestly it simply came down to there's nothing really to do that i've not done 100 times before.
I've played UO since launch. Ive played every year since on OSI or freeshards.
I've developed for free shards and still do but the bottom line is the game is dated, the community is getting older, this game doesn't give the "instant win" feeling that the gamers today seek. And the community is spread over those who like the old ways of UO and those who like the modern content.

Once you get perfect roll gear and max all the skills to 120 that you need and have made all the characters you will ever need its waiting for content or PVP.

I liked the earlier events Dan did where you could farm to unlock items to get rewards, but the RNG stuff just gets a bit boring when you go time and time again to the event and get nothing.

Scripting is a problem, I released loads of automation scripts that didn't go against the rules but you can play the game on autopilot on another screen.

Having a modern clone of the OSI server is great, but do people en masse play OSI? or has it been slowly depleting year after year. So I suppose the question is "Should the server copy OSI's depleting model or adjust to cater for the players that other freeshards have captured."

The most popular freeshards straddle the custom/fel ruleset.

There has been a renaissance of other older games coming back as the playerbase missed what they played 10-20 years ago, they arent seeking last months latest content but the thing they enjoyed from years ago.

Star Wars Galaxies dropped the original source code recently and new servers setup gained 1000s of players, the demand is there but im not sure its for the new content.

Currently im playing new games. Dual Universe, Starbase, Rust. They are fun and new but they arent UO.

I would love to play a fel ruleset only with something grindy in it that gives me a reason to login and play.

Xp based weapons, xp based armor, xp based pets above and beyond the pet training which is easy to max level.

The trick to getting more players is keep them logged in, and I dont mean AFK farming : )) #imsuperguiltyofthis

The museum rewards were great back in teh day farming so get that extra piece.

One other big issue is the modern world of UO is massive, and with a smaller playerbase you can go a long way without seeing another player. I do wonder if reducing access to some of the areas might help player interaction. But then you lose the point of the server.

It's a tough balance and will only get tougher.

Saying that I will have a look at coming back once Starbase settles down.

TLDR : Game is old, Kids don't seem interested. Land is too big. Add more grind less RNG. : )

Omalley

Master
Benefactor
Supporter
I have been absent for a while. I still pop in to refresh all my epic house locations which are for sale but no one contacts about them.

Honestly it simply came down to there's nothing really to do that i've not done 100 times before.
I've played UO since launch. Ive played every year since on OSI or freeshards.
I've developed for free shards and still do but the bottom line is the game is dated, the community is getting older, this game doesn't give the "instant win" feeling that the gamers today seek. And the community is spread over those who like the old ways of UO and those who like the modern content.

Once you get perfect roll gear and max all the skills to 120 that you need and have made all the characters you will ever need its waiting for content or PVP.

I liked the earlier events Dan did where you could farm to unlock items to get rewards, but the RNG stuff just gets a bit boring when you go time and time again to the event and get nothing.

Scripting is a problem, I released loads of automation scripts that didn't go against the rules but you can play the game on autopilot on another screen.

Having a modern clone of the OSI server is great, but do people en masse play OSI? or has it been slowly depleting year after year. So I suppose the question is "Should the server copy OSI's depleting model or adjust to cater for the players that other freeshards have captured."

The most popular freeshards straddle the custom/fel ruleset.

There has been a renaissance of other older games coming back as the playerbase missed what they played 10-20 years ago, they arent seeking last months latest content but the thing they enjoyed from years ago.

Star Wars Galaxies dropped the original source code recently and new servers setup gained 1000s of players, the demand is there but im not sure its for the new content.

Currently im playing new games. Dual Universe, Starbase, Rust. They are fun and new but they arent UO.

I would love to play a fel ruleset only with something grindy in it that gives me a reason to login and play.

Xp based weapons, xp based armor, xp based pets above and beyond the pet training which is easy to max level.

The trick to getting more players is keep them logged in, and I dont mean AFK farming : )) #imsuperguiltyofthis

The museum rewards were great back in teh day farming so get that extra piece.

One other big issue is the modern world of UO is massive, and with a smaller playerbase you can go a long way without seeing another player. I do wonder if reducing access to some of the areas might help player interaction. But then you lose the point of the server.

It's a tough balance and will only get tougher.

Saying that I will have a look at coming back once Starbase settles down.

TLDR : Game is old, Kids don't seem interested. Land is too big. Add more grind less RNG. : )
This!

...and, the main reason I'm not playing on heritage right now is the lack of new shit.. This server has one person running it.. Festivals and events feel cheap and shallow.. And I know that they can be awesome.. The 1st few years on heritage, festivals were awesome.. Now they feel like no thought was put into them at all.. Anf I'm sorry to say, that I believe that this is beacuse we have a 1 man dev team.. And content takes too much time to create, along side bug fixes, website work, ECT ECT... It's all too much for one person. Yes.. 1 man makes sure there is no corruption.. But its a double edged sword.. 1 man also means slow content and bored players.. Just my 2 copper. Look at the big servers right now.. They have a team of devs!

Anthar

Novice III
Supporter
>I have been absent for a while. I still pop in to refresh all my epic house locations which are for sale but no one contacts about them.
I will not pay for a home spot ! Was looking for a quite while before settling , but as all stuff was occupied, well meh....
Honestly what i would pay in RL $$$ is a home addition that would let me store as much in a classic small home as in a castle, or this small home with huge storage can cost as much in gold as the castle.

I also agree that the current OSI model is unmaintainable and one of the reasons why people are quitting UO.

My other game is EVE Online, much more demanding and punishing, but tbh for new players rather than old guard. So my opinion can be biased a bit.

Automation is a problem but at the same time solution.
Shard player base is small, we are old, let's be honest about that - my kid is older than me hearing first about UO.
We should solve the material gathering on the level of other actions - perfect example what way to go is leather - you can just gather it while you are doing something or buy from someone doing it rather than find a person that will grind some mindless action for countless hours.
(hint the weight reduction was an excellent move)

Maybe it is time to go this way with other activities and expand the loot tables to include other materials.
Like honestly i would prefer to hunt for 2 hours (active playing) some elementals rather than for 2h watch netflix and have a bot running in a window next to it mining.

I think priority should be player to player interactions, it is a MMO after all.
Trading, stealing, fighting ... this is why play MMO's.
Next thing is to increase the turn around of the stuff you find in game.
Grinding is fun ....... but much better situation is when you can more easily get some stuff that you need to replace rather to keep forever.
The more stuff is changing the better from my perspective to game. You need to look for stuff , thus you need to be active or interact with people that are active.

I wish to add that this new pokemon system could bring my kid to the game as he loves this pokemon shit (yes i hate it) and he constantly play in pixel games with pokemons ;D
But Dan is already doing a lot of stuff without getting paid for it.

PLAY NOW

Heritage

Address
play.trueuo.com
Port
Players Online
Houses
Vendors
Gold
2,844,846,208gp

Test Center

Address