Heritage Unlimited Housing and Management - Solution?

Dan

Staff Member
Administrator
Game Master
I still truly believe in how Heritage handles housing as a unique take that removes a lot of issues around auto account creation, VPNs, houses for storage, and the laborious task of even trying to enforce that would only take away from time spent actually coding new events and fixing current content.

I also believe in the idea of houses, all houses eventually, having worth and being a limited commodity. Being a real estate broker can be a fun and rewarding profession on UO.

I also understand the frustration when a player sees another player/guild owning a majority of what they believe to be the "best locations".

The Idea:
  • We won't be capping the number of houses a player can own, on any one account.
  • Houses are given a "Priority" property that can be accessed on the house sign for the owner only.
    • 5 houses can be marked "Priority I"
      • Normal 6 month decay cycle​
    • 10 houses can be marked "Priority II"
      • 3 month decay cycle​
    • The rest automatically become marked "Priority III"
      • 1 month decay cycle​

The objective - If you want to be the Rockafella of Heritage, and own all the property, you have to maintain said property more than the casual house trader/owner.

This is only an idea and no coding has even been started on this. I am just looking for opinions at this time, on this potential compromise. We are still a long way off from housing being an issue but in about two years houses in the world went from 300 to closing in on 900 now. (400 of those in the last year alone)

Upvote 0

RedBeard

Journeyman II
The Legend
Benefactor
Supporter
Make house placement tool good for one placement, and cost one Million gold. This would discourage players from dropping many 8x8's trying to acquire or take up larger plots of land without paying a more fair value.

Omalley

Master
Benefactor
Supporter
Make house placement tool good for one placement, and cost one Million gold. This would discourage players from dropping many 8x8's trying to acquire or take up larger plots of land without paying a more fair value.
Ouch!

OP
Dan

Dan

Staff Member
Administrator
Game Master
As a gold sink I don't hate the idea of them just having single uses.

supraboosta

Neophyte
Supporter
This would be rough for newer players, as houses already cost much more than they originally do. A possible idea is a "tax" after you place X amount of houses.

EX: first two houses on an account are normal placing cost, no tax, 3rd house 250k on top of house cost, 4th house 500k plus house cost, etc.

This would make the more you place more expensive as you go, and you do not get refunded the tax if you destroy.

As for good real estate, i feel most spots are already taken up. Im sure there are plenty of good spots hoarded by players who log in only a few times a year, just to maintain said spots. With this, Dan's original idea sounds good with the decay timers.

Mrriots

Apprentice II
Benefactor
Supporter
I agree with this and Dans idea

I miss the part were people made an effort with their houses because you weren't allowed more than one.

Meireffer

Novice III
Supporter
As someone who's having a lot of emply plots (to reserve land for guildies for future town-like area and avoid having stupid smiley-waterfall 8x8 just to piss you off all over the place) i can agree on Dans idea

Omalley

Master
Benefactor
Supporter
I still truly believe in how Heritage handles housing as a unique take that removes a lot of issues around auto account creation, VPNs, houses for storage, and the laborious task of even trying to enforce that would only take away from time spent actually coding new events and fixing current content.

I also believe in the idea of houses, all houses eventually, having worth and being a limited commodity. Being a real estate broker can be a fun and rewarding profession on UO.

I also understand the frustration when a player sees another player/guild owning a majority of what they believe to be the "best locations".

The Idea:
  • We won't be capping the number of houses a player can own, on any one account.
  • Houses are given a "Priority" property that can be accessed on the house sign for the owner only.
      • 3 month decay cycle​
      • 1 month decay cycle​

The objective - If you want to be the Rockafella of Heritage, and own all the property, you have to maintain said property more than the casual house trader/owner.

This is only an idea and no coding has even been started on this. I am just looking for opinions at this time, on this potential compromise. We are still a long way off from housing being an issue but in about two years houses in the world went from 300 to closing in on 900 now. (400 of those in the last year alone)
I can live with this. As I use all of my houses regularly

Cid

Novice III
Benefactor
Supporter

The Idea:
      • 3 month decay cycle​
      • 1 month decay cycle​

I think this idea has merit.

As a relatively new player, (less than 1 year on this shard), I can still feel the monetary pain in placing houses and decorating them. I currently have 5 classic houses placed and I use them all to a certain extent. My largest home is a classic tower. Combined, all 5 houses solve all my storage and placement problems. These 5 homes also reserve the land for one last placement. This last placement is to be the large castle plot available through the UO store. Once I have this placed, I will drop all other houses thus freeing up space for others to place. These are my plans to date.

Other players may and will have different reasons for multiple placements. I can respect that. UO has always been a community that thrives on free expression. Housing is part of that expression. I think what Dan is suggesting is forward thinking and worthy of discussion. Housing may not be a problem now but given the current growth rates quoted, housing will indeed become an issue in the future.

In regards to the placement tool, I can agree to the 1 time use. As to the cost of the tool going to 1 mil, I would oppose that. In my opinion, such a high cost will only harm new players.

Concerning the taxation idea suggested by supraboosta, I would have to respectively say No, as suggested....perhaps we could fine tune the numbers a little but I think this is also worthy of discussion. I can't believe I actually typed that as in real life I oppose any additional taxes but that's another matter entirely...lol o_O

My two cents worth.

Regards

BooshBooshBoosh

Novice III
Supporter
If we're going to let a handful of people own most of the "prime" spots, at least start a HoA and enforce it. Nothing is shittier than walking through Zento and seeing all the "hurp durp muh investment" dirt plots. If the server allows you to hoard the good spots you should be forced to build/maintain them.

*edit Dawned on me that not everyone will know the term "HoA". Home owner's associaton, makes sure you can live in a neighborhood and not worry that your neighbor will put a Trans Am on blocks in his front yard.

Last edited:

Cid

Novice III
Benefactor
Supporter
HOA, damn, I can't stand the one I live in now.....freakin Nazi's.....lolo_O. What's wrong with a Trans Am on blocks? Doesn't every neighborhood have one? Just Kidding....:)

Prime locations. Prime in regards to vendor visibility? Like Luna? Or Prime in regards to proximity of hunting spots, gates etc...I agree, a handful of people controlling the prime spots with dirt plots should be looked at. However, the players that placed the dirt plots did nothing wrong, they followed the rules as currently written.

I try to keep in mind the different rule sets between Tram, Fell, Ter Mur. Each facet will have it's advantages and disadvantages. If you actively play within the PVP system some Fell locations are better suited to your play style while in Tram a resource gather may have different locations in mind. Should different facets have different housing rule-sets?

Not an easy problem to solve.....Do I have the answer....no.

Omalley

Master
Benefactor
Supporter
@Xtal & @The Plague Doctor Need to be actively trying to sell thier homes.. :) what good is all that land you guys have in Zento.. if you are never gonna sell it, or use it. :D I mean, come-on.. im a house horder too.. but the ones i have for sale, Im out there trying to sell them.. and the ones that are not for sale, are in use.. All you guys are doing is sitting on them.. SELL SELL SELL!! :D
Post automatically merged:

Thinking about a past post on this subject, and i remember someone suggesting a 10 house per account limit. I think a limit on houses would be fine, as long as it leaves reasonable space to be able to buy and sell...

xG00BERx

Journeyman III
Supporter
@Xtal & @The Plague Doctor Need to be actively trying to sell thier homes.. :) what good is all that land you guys have in Zento.. if you are never gonna sell it, or use it. :D I mean, come-on.. im a house horder too.. but the ones i have for sale, Im out there trying to sell them.. and the ones that are not for sale, are in use.. All you guys are doing is sitting on them.. SELL SELL SELL!! :D
Post automatically merged:

Thinking about a past post on this subject, and i remember someone suggesting a 10 house per account limit. I think a limit on houses would be fine, as long as it leaves reasonable space to be able to buy and sell...

Plague doesn't even play here anymore I don't think if someone is interested in his plots they should PM him. That goes with my lots and Noahs

xG00BERx

Journeyman III
Supporter
Ya'll will be back.. im sure.
mmmmmm probably not the instead of constant complaining about the scripting nature of PvP we just went somewhere where it matters a lot less.
Let me know if you're interested in anything I have im willing to sell everything including my 32x32 by that awesome 18x18 you did

Omalley

Master
Benefactor
Supporter
@Omalley People are free to message me on Discord if they want to buy a plot in Zento...

I understand that :) but new players just see an empty plot, why not at least name the house For Sale, and Contact Info. :) not trying to bash, just know there are players looking! a little advertising would sell some fast im sure. (and not everyone uses discord :( )

BooshBooshBoosh

Novice III
Supporter
I understand that :) but new players just see an empty plot, why not at least name the house For Sale, and Contact Info. :) not trying to bash, just know there are players looking! a little advertising would sell some fast im sure. (and not everyone uses discord :( )

How long were your two plots for sale before I bought them? Three minutes maybe?

XxXBarbieXxX

Neophyte III
Supporter
I'm all for anything to get more IDOCS : )

I have recently stopped hoarding plots, many I have dropped or sold on.

If you see any plots belonging to me and want it get in touch.

PLAY NOW

Heritage

Address
play.trueuo.com
Port
Uptime
4 hours
Players Online
Houses
Vendors
Gold
4,399,006,510gp