Doom

DaBeanCounter

Journeyman III
Heritage Supporter
Yup I'm going to go on about Doom again lol. How about we make the upper-tier artifacts craftable from the crappy ones?

Dan

Staff Member
Administrator
Game Master
What if instead we looked at the truly useless ones, that are not used anywhere else, and removed them? Thus increasing the odds for the decent ones?

One that comes to mind is Frostbringer. This is an item we could retire.

Dan

Staff Member
Administrator
Game Master
Now we wouldn't remove all of them. I would say to start, 4. That would lower drop rates, make it a little more worth wild, but not make it so everyone does Doom once and never has to go back again.

So lets narrow this list down to the 4 worst, that are not used anywhere else in the game.

My pick is 1. Frostbringer.

OP
OP
D

DaBeanCounter

Journeyman III
Heritage Supporter
Right now there is a 1/39 chance to get a doom arty (37 arties, +prized lessor+, +recipe)

I'm proposing we remove 19 crappers from the list, to bring us to a 1/20 chance. EA is a 1/15 chance so it would still be harder :)

Dan

Staff Member
Administrator
Game Master
We also use some of them in other ways here, and we plan on adding more with future events. Not everything EA does is right. People plow through doom and the way it was before, the EA way, was also terrible for Heritage and had its own issues, which is why the population at the time proposed changes.

It will be baby steps. 4 will be the max removed at first, once we figure out the 4.

OP
OP
D

DaBeanCounter

Journeyman III
Heritage Supporter
Takes about 3-4 rounds of doom to get a single arty drop. That in turn takes about an hour+(can't actually remember, someone with a recent experience can chime in here since I've been avoiding doom of late)? So at it's current state it might take up to 40 hours to get a "chance" to get your arty...that's a bit much for our population of old farts...On EA there are 20 people at once getting rolls, so the server inventory as a whole at least gets some stuff in it.

But 1/35 is 11% better than 1/39 - :p

Dan

Staff Member
Administrator
Game Master
It made sense for EA to totally remove those items because they already have 20 years of them spawning / being duped right away in the thousands. We do not have that issue.

A lot of stuff UO added or did was to address their own coding failers. Example being the Monk shroud was added in as a sloppy way to deal with all the duped hued Hooded Shrouds of Shadow. UO converted all the duped ones to Monk robes, and coded monk robes in, for no reason but to fix their bad code. We have "emulated" these failures because they are a part of UO but we will be making more deliberate changes in the future to figure out what works for Heritage, not EA.

OP
OP
D

DaBeanCounter

Journeyman III
Heritage Supporter
Well the doom artifacts became obsolete after shame loot / imbuing came out - so I think this was a power creep issue. But ya, duping, etc. is always a problem.

The problem with most of these Doom arties is that plain old imbuing beats them most of the time. @Dexter once suggested making them imbuable. might also be an idea to consider.

MrChumly

Novice III
Heritage Supporter
If we are adding our picks of arties to be remove. Dragon slayer is my pick
Post automatically merged:

But maybe make the SoM, HoM, and orny have a bonus when all three are equipped.

Dan

Staff Member
Administrator
Game Master
Yes, Dragon Slayer is terrible.

1. Frostbringer
2. Dragon Slayer
3. ?
4. ?

Melek Taus

Neophyte III
Revered Member
Heritage Supporter
I like beancounter's idea of adding them to the paragon list, so that they're still available if for any reason people would want to obtain them. But I agree 100% with this thread. Most of the Doom arties are very out of date and just plain useless.

Salendro

Newbie II
Revered Member
Heritage Supporter
On a previous server, we had a very small community (like only 10 or less long term active players daily if that). We decided that when most of these artifacts came, the game was completely different. So we made our own artifacts to reflect current popular templates. we took out frostbringer and added a bow with SSI and leeches, bracelet of health became a bracelet any dexxer would want (i think it was like SSI, DI, +5 or 10 random weapon skill bonus, +10 tactics, HCI, LMC that was great for farming due to the random nature. main point was to not remove from the total number and lessen the rarity of say the orny, but to make doom more rewarding for all templates. The hard part was the balance but i would say over all it worked out.

Last edited:

MrChumly

Novice III
Heritage Supporter
I can agree with making it more like EA. Ive gotten so many of the stupid clubs I dread going. A better chance to get the good ones would be nice

Brosephine

Apprentice
The Legend
Revered Member
Heritage Supporter
Posting for reference. As long as we NEVER return to this, I'm fine with making changes to Doom. Just never, EVER what Dew Cono described in this thread.